Purpose of Hope4Hope4 aims to relieve poverty among homeless and badly-housed people in the Borough of Rugby and works to prevent homelessness. Hope4's strategies are to :-
- Run a day centre, the Hope Centre, for homeless and badly-housed people.
- Run a 'food ministry', Hope4U, providing hot food and drinks to adults in need.
- Oversee the work of the Rugby Food Bank
- Run a Winter Shelter providing supper, beds and breakfasts for up to 15 rough-sleepers a night during the winter months
- Work with local agencies that help homeless people, or people in danger of becoming homeless
- Influence the homeless support projects implemented by Rugby Borough Council
Who can be referred to the Hope CentrePlease note that the Hope Centre is not a drop-in Centre. All guests at the Hope Centre need to be referred by an appropriate agency with a completed referral form. Only those agreed to be homeless and/or badly housed will be able to use the Hope Centre.
The Hope Centre Referral Procedure, Form and Admissions Policy Guidelines can be downloaded here
Badly-Housed?Badly-housed is defined, for the purposes of Hope4, as one of the following:
- evicted after temporarily staying with friends or family – proof required
- staying in a hostel or bed and breakfast – proof required e.g. letter from the landlord
- living in poor conditions that affect health - GP letter needed
- living somewhere with no legal right to stay there (e.g. a squat) – proof required
Rugby Winter ShelterIn December 2011 the Rugby Winter Shelter, overseen by Hope 4, opened for the first time in partnership with seven local church overnight venues. Now in its fifth year the RWS has helped, on average, over 50 different guests each winter, over a four month period
History of Hope4A focus group, Rugby & District Churches Focus Group on Homelessness, was started in 2005 by members of local churches who were concerned about the the homelessness problem in Rugby. This group was also known as Hope4U. As it developed it became registered as a charity and the name became shortened to Hope4.
The charity members started working with the Rugby Borough Council and national charities for the homeless to improve the situation in Rugby, and also started fund-raising for a Day Centre for homeless and badly housed people.